Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog about Catholic life and family values.
This blog will center around the beauty of Catholicism and how to raise families, evangelize our faith, and fight the ongoing spritual battles that challenge us daily.

You are invited to share your wisdom on these pages with all the readers. Together we will address important life and faith issues and how to enhance our Catholic identity.

Key areas that you will find me addressing regularly will be about important Catholic doctrine and beliefs and how they help us raise strong Catholic Christian families. My hope is that you will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even annoyed, but I hope it will in some way improve your Catholic faith.



Monday, December 3, 2007

What are you waiting for?

Advent starts today. What are you waiting for?

The Gospel reading today is a warning. A barometer to check how prepared you are if Jesus was to come today. Advent is a time of waiting and preparation. Most of us understand waiting, but are we adequately prepared?

I spent most of the afternoon waiting in an airport to fly down for a business trip to Palm Springs. The plane was slightly delayed, so my waiting was extended. Now, as I type this post some 30,000 feet above ground, I am doing another waiting game for us to land. The question now is, what should I be waiting for? Jesus could come to me tonight if the plane has problems. Or, it could be another 50 years. Either way, I’m called by today’s Gospel to be prepared regardless. It’s supposed to be a time of reflection.

Instead, most of us (me included) will spend our time this Advent waiting in lines to buy gifts; waiting in airports to travel; or waiting by the phone for a loved one to call. Jesus reminds us this first day of Advent that we should be preparing our lives for his return…we do not know the place or time, right? We wait this season for the coming of the baby Jesus, who will be our Savior. It is a joyous time for sure, but one that should be cherished with family, friends, and contemplation.

My challenge for you (and me) this Advent is to separate yourself from the noise and chaos of the secular world, and find the peace and deep contemplation of the Christmas creche. That is truly where our salvation lies.

Vivat Jesus,

Dan

P.S. Don’t forget to register for my 2008 Teleconference Series opener with Catholic radio personality Teresa Tomeo. For more information, see my recent post with all the details. If you want to learn how to move away from the noise of the secular media, this is the place to be!

No comments: