Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog about Catholic life and family values.
This blog will center around the beauty of Catholicism and how to raise families, evangelize our faith, and fight the ongoing spritual battles that challenge us daily.

You are invited to share your wisdom on these pages with all the readers. Together we will address important life and faith issues and how to enhance our Catholic identity.

Key areas that you will find me addressing regularly will be about important Catholic doctrine and beliefs and how they help us raise strong Catholic Christian families. My hope is that you will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even annoyed, but I hope it will in some way improve your Catholic faith.



Sunday, April 27, 2008

Present in the Pew

I was recently working out on the elliptical machine at the gym when I saw something that made me look twice. A woman at the other corner of the fitness area was also working out on a stair stepper machine but was talking on the phone at the same time!

It made me think - is that what our culture is coming to? We are so busy that we have to multi-task everything, even our exercise time! For me, exercising is an opportunity to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world and do something for myself. Apparently for others, it's a time to chat on the phone (which she probably already does most of the day).

Makes me think about sitting at Mass. How many times have I been present in the pew, but multi-tasking in my head. Here is my opportunity to do something for myself with Jesus, and I'm just like the woman on the cell phone. All these "busy" things in my life and they keep invading my mind on God's time. The worst part is I let them! What about you?

Now when I sit in Mass or Adoration, whenever I start to wander off and multi-task in my thinking, I think back to the woman on the stair stepper. It's a great reminder to be present at Mass, just like I'm present in the gym. Time to flex those spiritual muscles.

Vivat Jesus,

Dan

P.S. Sorry for being so long between blogs. Time for me to re-focus on this, too!

No comments: