Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog about Catholic life and family values.
This blog will center around the beauty of Catholicism and how to raise families, evangelize our faith, and fight the ongoing spritual battles that challenge us daily.

You are invited to share your wisdom on these pages with all the readers. Together we will address important life and faith issues and how to enhance our Catholic identity.

Key areas that you will find me addressing regularly will be about important Catholic doctrine and beliefs and how they help us raise strong Catholic Christian families. My hope is that you will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even annoyed, but I hope it will in some way improve your Catholic faith.



Friday, March 21, 2008

One Year by Mouth

Today marks the one year anniversary of my going back to taking communion by the mouth instead of by hand. I know that both ways are accepted by the Church, however I was strongly drawn to go back to the "old school" way of my youth. One of the cool by-products is that my family joined me in this without any prompting from me. They asked and I simply explained that I knew that if the Pope was offering me communion at St. Peter's Basilica, I would take it by the mouth! Jesus is the same in the Eucharist everywhere, so why wouldn't I do the same at home?

That was only one reason. I realized that there was something special for me in taking Jesus' body on my tongue. When my decision was made last Good Friday, I can't tell you the joy I felt after receiving Jesus in the Eucharist. It was like coming home again.

One final thought...

My wife Barb mentioned to me an additional reason she went back to "old school". She found herself sitting in the pew trying to get something off the bottom of her shoe. She realized that her unwashed hand would be holding Jesus. She knew at that moment that she would make the switch back.

Don't get me wrong, many people have given me good reasons to take communion by the hand. To me, it's an individual thing. What I will say is that if you haven't taken Jesus by the mouth in a long time (or ever), try it this Easter weekend. See if it has the same effect on you as it did me.

Happy Easter!

Vivat Jesus,

Dan

No comments: