Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog about Catholic life and family values.
This blog will center around the beauty of Catholicism and how to raise families, evangelize our faith, and fight the ongoing spritual battles that challenge us daily.

You are invited to share your wisdom on these pages with all the readers. Together we will address important life and faith issues and how to enhance our Catholic identity.

Key areas that you will find me addressing regularly will be about important Catholic doctrine and beliefs and how they help us raise strong Catholic Christian families. My hope is that you will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even annoyed, but I hope it will in some way improve your Catholic faith.



Friday, March 7, 2008

Service Above Self


If you follow my blogs, you know that I've been promoting my Rotary Club's online auction - click here to visit and bid - and may be wondering why I find Rotary a wonderful opportunity for stewardship.

Rotary just celebrated it's 104th birthday in February. Paul Harris founded Rotary as a way for business leaders to not only form business and personal relationships, but to do good in the community for those less fortunate. A century later, Rotary still does that proudly. From the near eradication of polio in the world to building bridges in Vietnam, to bringing fresh water to communities in Guatemala, Rotary truly exemplifies it's motto of "Service Above Self". As Catholic Christians, we have a commitment to the church and the global community as a whole to give of our time, talents and treasures to help assist all of God's people. Rotary has been my civic and global stewardship commitment for nearly 15 years.

As I head off to a conference this weekend with 700 other President-Elects around the Pacific Northwest, I realize how important organizations like Rotary are. I also belong to the Knights of Columbus and have read about the incredible acts of mercy and kindness the Knights have done since the late 19th century.

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, if you haven't already done so, consider expanding your time, talents and treasures outside of just your family. Lent is a great time to ponder it. Service organizations like Rotary, Kiwanis and the Lions give great opportunity to serve. For my brothers out there, consider the Knights of Columbus as a ministry.

Remember, you always receive more than you give. Giving is a win-win situation for everyone.

Vivat Jesus,

Dan

P.S. Check out a Rotary Club near you. Click here to go to the Rotary International website.

No comments: